How to Serve Custody Papers (2023)

If you filed a Complaint for Custody, Parenting Time, and Child Support, you must have copies of your court papers served on (given to) your child’s other parent. To learn more, watch the video How to Serve Divorce or Custody Papers.

What Papers Do I Have Served?

The first papers you will have served on your child’s other parent are:

Warning! The Summons must be served on your child’s other parent within 91 days, or your custody case may be dismissed.

Can I Be the Server?

No. There are several ways you can have your initial custody papers served, but you cannot be the one to serve the papers. You can ask a friend or relative to serve the papers, or you can pay your local sheriff’s department, police department, or a process server. Whoever serves the papers must be at least 18 years old and cannot be a party in your case.

What Does the Server Do?

The server must do the following things:

  • Personally give your child's other parent a copy of your court papers or mail the papers (see the mailing rules below),

  • Fill out and sign (in front of a notary) the Proof of Service on the back of one copy of the Summons form, AND

  • File the Proof of Service or return it to you to file

A notary can usually be found at a bank or the court clerk's office.

What Are the Rules for Mailing?

The server can mail the papers by registered or certified mail, with service restricted to your child's other parent and a return receipt requested. This type of service only works if the other parent accepts delivery of the papers and if you have a safe address where the return receipt can be mailed.

To serve the papers by mail, have a friend or relative go to the post office and pay to have the papers mailed to your child’s other parent this way. Once the papers have been delivered, you will get a green card (the return receipt) in the mail. Make sure the other parent signed the green card. Have the person who mailed the papers fill out and sign (in front of a notary) the Proof of Service form on the back of one copy of the Summons and give it to you. Attach the signed return receipt to the Proof of Service.

A notary can usually be found at a bank or the court clerk's office.

Can My Child’s Other Parent Agree to Accept Service of the Papers?

Yes. If the other parent agrees to accept service of the papers, the other parent can sign the Acknowledgment of Service section on the back of one copy of the Summons and give it to the server. With this type of service, only the Acknowledgment of Service portion of the Proof of Service needs to be filled out. Make a copy of the form for your records, and file the original with the clerk's office.

What If I Don’t Know Where My Child’s Other Parent Is?

If the server has tried to serve the other parent several times without success, or if you can't find out the other parent's address after making real efforts, you can ask the judge for permission to complete service another way. To do this, file a Motion and Verification for Alternate Service.

If the judge allows alternate service, the judge will sign an Order for Alternate Service. Then you can follow the judge’s directions for serving the papers.

If you need to serve your child’s other parent by alternate service, consider hiring a lawyer to help you with your custody case. You can use the Guide to Legal Helpto get contact information for legal services or a lawyer referral service in your area.

What If My Child's Other Parent Is in Prison or Is on Active Military Duty?

Military Duty

Your custody case can be complicated if your child’s other parent is on active military duty. It may be difficult to find and serve papers on a service member stationed overseas. There are also state and federal laws that give people on active duty extra protections in civil cases. If your child’s other parent doesn’t answer your custody complaint, the court must appoint a lawyer for the other party before it can enter final orders. If you are filing for custody and the child’s other parent is on active military duty, you may want to hire a lawyer. If you need a lawyer and have low income, you may qualify for free legal help. Use the Guide to Legal Help to find a lawyer or legal services in your area.


Having papers served on an inmate is usually not hard. Call the Department of Corrections to confirm the incarceration and the other party's prison number and location. Then mail a copy of the complaint and other papers you filed to the prison. Also include the Proof of Service so the server can fill it out and send it back to you. Mail the papers by registered or certified mail, with service restricted to your child's other parent and a return receipt requested.

A prison employee can serve the papers and send you back the completed Proof ofService form along with the return receipt (this looks like a green card). Most Michigan prisons have a litigation coordinator to help with this process. You can also use the Personal Service on Prisoner and Affidavitform to ask the Warden or Administrator of the prison to serve the papers. When you receive the completed Proof of Service from the prison, attach the return receipt before filing it with the court clerk's office. The court must allow the other parent to participate in your custody case by phone, video conference, or in person.

How Do I Serve the Rest of the Papers I File?

Only the Summons and the other initial divorce papers must be served by someoneotherthan you. After the initial service, you can serve other court papers on your spouse. You may serve the rest of the divorce papers by:

Whoever serves the papers must fill out and sign a Proof of Service saying which papers were served. If you used our Do-It-Yourself Custody Case (Unmarried Parents)tool to prepare your court forms, several blank Proof of Service forms were included.

During the COVID-19 emergency, certain court documents must be served electronically, either through e-filing (if available) or e-mail.This includes an Answer to a Complaint filed by the other party (and any other forms you file with the Answer), a motion, or a response to a motion.However, you cannot serve a Complaint or a Petition electronically (for example, a Complaint for Divorce).To find out if your court has e-filing for your case type, look at theE-Filing Courts in Michiganpage on the Michigan One Court of Justice website.

Keep the following rules in mind when serving documents by e-mail:

  • All documents must be in PDF format;

  • The e-mail subject line must include the name of the court, case name, case number, and the title of each document being sent;

  • If you e-mail a document at or before 11:59 p.m., it is considered served on that day. If you send the e-mail on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, it is considered served on the next business day;

  • Do not delete any e-mails you send to the other party, especially e-mails that served court documents. You must keep a record of sent items until a judgment or final order is entered and all appeals have been completed.

What Do I Do with the Completed Proof of Service?

Each time you or another server fills out a Proof of Service, file it with the circuit court clerk’s office. Keep a copy of each Proof of Service for your records.

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Mrs. Angelic Larkin

Last Updated: 03/03/2023

Views: 5371

Rating: 4.7 / 5 (47 voted)

Reviews: 86% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Mrs. Angelic Larkin

Birthday: 1992-06-28

Address: Apt. 413 8275 Mueller Overpass, South Magnolia, IA 99527-6023

Phone: +6824704719725

Job: District Real-Estate Facilitator

Hobby: Letterboxing, Vacation, Poi, Homebrewing, Mountain biking, Slacklining, Cabaret

Introduction: My name is Mrs. Angelic Larkin, I am a cute, charming, funny, determined, inexpensive, joyous, cheerful person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.